Harlem Dowling: 2010 Highlights
• Harlem Dowling begins a one year celebration of the founding of the Colored Orphan Asylum in 1836, proudly celebrating its service to children and families for 175 years!!
• Harlem Dowling announces its new developer and team to build a Home for Harlem Dowling. Anticipated ground breaking to coincide with the celebration of the 175th Anniversary in November 2011.
• The Migdol Family Foundation pledges $20,000 for the Building Campaign, a Home for Harlem Dowling.
• Harlem Dowling provided emergency food assistance to 5,000 individuals through its Emergency Food Pantry.
• JPMorgan Chase Foundation continues to provide funding to support after school programs.
• Harlem Dowling had another successful College Tour with students from its Foster Care and Preventive Services programs participating. First time our students visited Harvard University, aiming high!
• The students from our after school program at PS161 continued their third year of success with the Comic Book Project.
• Harlem Dowling is the recipient of a successful Coat Drive by the Garden of Dreams Foundation. The New York Rangers distributed the coats to the students of PS 161.
• Harlem Dowling hosts its third Annual Family Nutrition Day to combat hunger and obesity in our community.
• Harlem Dowling hosted its second Annual Latino Health Awareness Day.
• Legendary Actress Ruby Dee joined the youth of Harlem Dowling for a second presentation of, To Whom It May Concern, a community service project of youth in foster care.
• The Migdol Family donated laptop computers to 4 high achieving college bound students.
• Harlem Dowling is the recipient of a Community Service Award from the National Association of Black Accountants and from the Howie the Harp organization.
• The Office of the President of Columbia University and its team of volunteers painted the entire Central Harlem Preventive Services program area.
• The Lions Club of Brooklyn celebrates 10 years of support and funding for the children and families served in Jamaica and Far Rockaway programs.
• Thanks to funding from the Van Ameringen Foundation, Harlem Dowling completes 3 cycles of Dinosaur School, an evidenced based mental health intervention program for children who have experienced early childhood trauma.
• Radio Personality Vaughn Harper and Friends hosted its Second Annual Celebrity Toy Drive for Harlem Dowling during the 2010 Holiday Season.
• The 2010 Holiday Season was one of the best in years. Many individuals generously gave of their personal resources to bring holiday cheer to the many children served by Harlem Dowling. We are indebted to so many individuals, but especially our Secret Santa and the Christmas Givers.
• Harlem in the Hamptons – Pre 2010 Annual Gala in the Hamptons renewing friendships and creating new ties. Glenton Davis provided the entertainment and Soprano star Federico Castellucci is a new friend and supporter of the agency.
• Harlem Dowling is deeply grateful for the continued year round support of the Gardens of Dreams Foundation and all the resources and recreational opportunities provided throughout the year for its children and families i.e., games and tickets to the NY Rangers, the NY Knicks, The Christmas Show at Radio City Music Hall, Dancing with the Rockettes, and numerous parties with stars and athletes.
• Harlem Dowling celebrates National Adoption Month at its 2010 Gala at Bridgewaters. Thank you to all of our honorees, friends, donors and supporters.
• Thank you to our major sponsors for 2010 Gala, Alembic Development Company, The New York Amsterdam News, City College, Gerald S. Migdol, Esq., USTA-Eastern and a host of other supporters.
• Thank you foundation supporters for your continued support, JPMorgan Chase Foundation, Van Ameringen, Foundation, The Migdol Family Foundation, Axa Foundation.
• Harlem Dowling proudly celebrates reuniting 143 children with their birth families and uniting 27 children with new families, new hope and new possibilities through adoption.